ORIENTATION TEACHER for 2019 PRE-DEPARTURE ORIENTATION CYCLE
Purpose of Position: To prepare program participants for their exchange experience using materials provided by American Councils/DC administrative staff; to plan PDO sessions together with the local orientation team; to teach students in English about American culture and family life.
Description of Duties:
• Learn the established goals and objectives of the program and its pre-departure orientation materials.
• Attend the entire four-day Training of Trainers workshop (TOT) held in late March or early April to become familiar with the assigned PDO lesson plan.
• Attend and actively participate in planning and preparation of the PDO.
• Teach classes consisting of no more than 17 students, and team-teach larger sessions of up to 45 students.
• Create a well-organized classroom atmosphere that keeps to a time schedule and encourages student participation.
• Work effectively with Alumni Teaching Assistants while planning and presenting sessions.
• Assist American Councils staff with non-classroom responsibilities, as requested.
• During the TOT and PDO, teachers are obligated to attend meals, evening and other non-classroom activities.
Reports to: Poland Country Representative
• American citizen with native English language skills and US high school experience.
• Professional teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
• Recent living experience in at least one Eurasian country; appropriate local language skills are desirable.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to function with staff of different ages and cultural backgrounds.
• Available to teach two to four PDO cycles between June 15 and July 15, 2019 (as determined by Program Hub Director.)
If you are interested in the position of PDO teacher please submit a statement of purpose, resume and copy of your passport to Poland Country Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org) office by January 25, 2019. Please specify if you are willing to teach in cities or countries other than that in which you applied.